My father’s day blog.
I miss my Papang. I only have several memories of him but it was all good.
•Taught me how to read d bible
•Checked if i understood the homily after each mass (so i was forced to listen)
• Modeled how to pray from heart (though at that time i thought it was pretty long & boring, i’m sure my siblings would agree)
• Witnessed how he helped other people encounter Jesus
• Taught me how to play the guitar
• Took the time to explain to me in private why I had to be adopted by another family (so i can live a comfortable life that he can’t give)
• Told me he loved me & how his heart grieved that he had to ‘send me away’ (good thing they were our relative so he can still see me)
That was the night before I left for Dubai to study, & we were both crying, i was 13. I remember he said he was not sure if he’ll still be alive by the time I go back to the Philippines because he’s already old. The exact words were ‘Hindi ko alam kung mahihintay pa kita…’ but i told him to wait for me. It’s just 4 years, and i’ll go back home & live with the family.. And he promised he’ll wait.
After 4 years i came back, he was still alive as promised but he can’t remember me anymore most of the time due to old age. And i remember feeling shocked when i hugged him and said, ‘Pang! Andito nko!’ and he responded with ‘Sino ka?’… Who would agree with me that that was devastating to hear from your own father? I still think that’s the most painful thing to hear.. But i don’t blame him, i’m happy to have that little chance to take care of him before he faded away to eternity…
Pang, I am proud to have a father like you who had a heart after God. Looking back, i am now living these things you taught me… Understanding that it’s about Jesus and having a relationship with Him and not about religion/denomination. And it’s not what other people would say but what God has to say that matters. And with this I know that you are proud of what i’ve become, too.
I never had the chance to say that i was blessed having you as my father.
You did a good job with all the memories i had with you.. I love you. I’ll see you in heaven. Happy father’s day!
-Regina (this was my name before the adoption) :)